Our stunning snowdrops are a very popular attraction and we love welcoming visitors at this special time of year. However, it can get busy which requires cafeful management of our small site, and in particular the car park. To aid this, we are asking people to pre-book visits online during January and February. This means you will not be able turn up and pay on arrival on the day – but you can book a visit online any time up to and including the day itself, subject to availability. Click here to book.
We highly recommend creating an account when you book your tickets. This allows you to manage your booking and change the date and time of your visit, should you need to – there will be no admin charges for you to do this.
Keep an eye on our homepage, Facebook or Instagram for updates about how the snowdrops are coming along. They are usually at their best in late January into early February.
Famed for having one of the largest naturalistic plantings of snowdrops in the country, the hidden valley which forms the Rococo Garden is unforgettably carpeted with white for a few weeks at the start of spring. There are fifteen known varieties of snowdrop in the Garden, including the famous Galanthus ‘Atkinsii’. This distinctively tall, handsome flower was first discovered in Painswick by estate worker James Atkins in the 1800s.
Online Booking Fee
We want to be up front: booking online does incur a transaction fee which is levied by our ticketing providers. Last year we absorbed the cost of this, but as a charity we cannot afford to lose such a substantial amount of money again. All the income generated by your visits and your purchases in our Café and Shop are reinvested in the upkeep of this special place.
Our annual membership and HH card holders do not have to pay a transaction fee when booking a visit online.
During January and February we do not accept RHS cards or Gardener’s World 2 for 1.
We’ve put together this short guide to help you make the most of your time with us:
- Pre-booking online is essential for your snowdrop visit. Please create an account when booking as this will allow you to change the date and time of your visit, should you need to.
- For the safety of our visitors, the Garden will need to close in the case of adverse weather, including very high winds. Please check our website before travelling to double-check we are open.
- On busy days we park cars on our field which is immediately adjacent to the main car park. It can be wet and occasionally muddy so please come prepared with suitable footwear. The field is not suitable for visitors with mobility difficulties and large or heavy vehicles – please make yourself known to our team on arrival if this applies to you and we will redirect you.
- If you like to see your snowdrops in peace and quiet, we recommend booking an early or late arrival slot. We open at 10am and close at 5pm with last entry at 4pm. We anticipate our busiest times being half term (Saturday 10 – Sunday 18 February) and sunny weekends. Do bear with us during busy times – we are doing our best.
- Our paths are made of bark chippings or compacted hoggin and there are quite a few steep hills. Due to the Garden being set in a valley, only around a fifth of it can be accessed with a wheelchair. We recommend the use of slings rather buggies, but a good robust buggy and plenty of muscle will get you around. Further information about accessibility can be found here.
- As always, dogs on short leads are very welcome.
- Our Cafe will be open 10am – 4pm. Visitors can enjoy our fabulous range of cakes, freshly-ground coffees and light lunches. Breakfast baps will be served between 10am – 12pm and lunch between 12pm and 2.30pm. You can enjoy these in our heated marquee or while you wander around the Garden.
There are snowdrops talks by one of our expert gardeners throughout February, starting at 2pm, Monday to Friday on the Bowling Green in the heart of the Garden. Lasting 10-15 minutes, this is a chance to hear about the history of the Garden and our snowdrops, and to ask any questions you may have. The talk location will be clearly signed and the talk is totally free of charge!