Saturday 11 May, 10am – 4pm
Come and join the first plein air art competition at Rococo Garden, with great prizes to be won!
The French term plein air means out of doors and refers to the practice of creating entire finished pictures of art out of doors – En Plein Air events are currently hugely popular. We are delighted to announce the first event of this kind at Rococo Garden, organised by Watch This Space.
Come for the day, get creative and enjoy the beautiful Rococo Garden. Have some fun, get your work judged by experts in their field and a chance to win some amazing prizes.
How it will work:
Arrive at the Garden, having pre-registered, with your blank canvas to be stamped on the back and your materials ready to get arty.
The competition is open to anyone aged 16 years of age and over.
All over 18’s need to pre-register for the event, the entry fee to the stunning Rococo Garden is included in your registration fee of £20. Please click here to register and pay your £20 registration fee.
16 – 18 year olds are able to paint but you are not required to register and pay the registration fee, you just need to pay for entry into the Garden on Saturday 11 May. You can do this be clicking here.
There is a specific youth prize for under 25’s as well as the opportunity to have your work judged for the main prizes. If you are under 18 please specify when you get your work surface stamped, so you can be eligible to enter your artwork for judging.
Judging is at 4.30pm, winners will be announced by 5.30pm The Garden is open until 6pm.
Overall winner – £250 cash prize
Contemporary landscape – £100 cash prize (sponsored by Tetbury Goods Shed)
Drawing/illustration – £100 cash prize
The top three prize winners will also be included as part of the Spencer House Gallery exhibition from 21 June – 30 August 2024.
Youth prize, (under 25s) – £50 arts material voucher (sponsored by Spencer House Gallery)
Painswick Rococo Garden – this winning entry will be selected to have their image used as part of the Garden’s greeting card series which will be printed by Rococo Garden and will be for sale in their shop. Commission on all sales made will be shared with the artist.
Four Highly Commended awards will win inclusion in the Tetbury Goods Shed exhibition Nature’s Garden, running from the end of June to mid August
The Spencer House Gallery exhibition will be entitled Everything in the Garden and will feature garden themed work by Angie Spencer (Rococo Garden’s artist in residence) and other artists. The winners of the overall Plein Air Competition, the contemporary landscape and drawing and illustration prize will be hung as part of this. The TGS exhibition Nature’s Garden will feature a range of other work by Angie Spencer, plus the work of the four highly commended from the Plein Air competition.
We are delighted to announce the following Judges:
Roger Dellar, professional artist and award winning en plein air specialist painter
Jaynie Tricker, professional artist and award winning en plein air specialist painter
Chris Woodcock, Owner and Curator at Spencer House Gallery in Tetbury
– You must start and finish your artwork on the day
– All works must have a stamp on the back, administered by the team on arrival. Original artwork can be in any medium & any size (we’d love to see printmaking, illustration, mixed media as well as paintings).
– iPad and photography artwork does not qualify
– We accept no responsibility for loss, damage or injury during the day
– Any work bought back after 4pm, will not be eligible for judging.
– Criteria for judging is that any winning entry agrees to participate in the selected exhibitions as part of the competition. Artwork will need to be delivered and collected, to the galleries, by the artist, framed and ready to hang by the end of May 2024. Artwork for sale is optional, and must be specified. Commission on any sales agreed direct with the individual venues.